slider

1/12/15

Fun with Shaped Photos

Playing with photos in various shapes is always a fun way to think outside of the box and to spark a little bit of creativity!!  To me, there's just something about shaped photos.  I love looking at them, and I think they are so visually interesting.  I also love how you can play around with your paper and embellishments to help make your photos pop.  Plus, I'm always looking for a fun reason to use my stamps or my Silhouette!!

CIRCLES
I love circles of all shapes and sizes!! I love how soft and pretty they look all gathered together.  If you flip through your supplies, I bet you will spy circles all over the place!  I usually pick one and then use it as my starting point for a page.  Then I print out a few circled shaped photos and start layering away!!


After I printed my photos, I just used my paper punches to create circles with various patterned papers.  Just like with all of my layering, I like to alternate between neutral and bold patterns.  I also like to layer in vellum and other little stickers on my pages.


Playing around with the direction of the circles can change the effect of the page.  By layering the circles down the middle on the above page, it almost gives off a cascading effect. 


Here, I layered the circles along the middle and tucked my photos in the layers.  This page is a little busier because it has more colors and patterns.  I used the vellum and die cuts to help tone everything down and to create a little depth to the page.

Creating nice balanced layouts is probably one of my favorites.  It just screams to my OCD personality!!


This may look like a busy page, but it really was so simple to create.  I used my circle punch to punch out a bunch of pictures and then created a few layers with some circle tags!  I added on several simple embellishments, included a title and called it done!  I am so planning on "lifting" this design again soon!!  


For this page, I used a pre-cut page.  It was originally a 12x12, but I trimmed it at about 6 inches so I could layer it along one side of my page with a title on the left hand side.  Again, I used a circle punch for my photos and sprinkled on a few embellishments!

TRIANGLES
Triangles are funky and fun!  You can play with the angles and really add personality to a layout!


I think I love triangles because you can pair them together to create squares (ha!)...and that's one of my favorite things to do with triangles.  I love pairing together pretty triangle papers and creating a balanced square.  I used a digital template to mask my photos into triangles and then used my triangle photos as a template for all of my paper triangles.  They may not be perfect triangles, but I think they adds to the playfulness of the page!


More triangle fun!!  I created a simple triangle shape in my Silhouette software and cut out various sized triangles.  I used them as a guide for my photos and then stitched everything into place.  I really like the moments and flow this page has!  (And I so want to "lift" this one now too!).

HEXAGONS & DIAMONDS
I don't think hexagons and diamonds are a "go-to" shape for me, but they are fun to play around with!  


For this page, I masked my photos into a hexagon shape, printed them and trimmed them out.  They were my starting point for the page.  As you can see, I also used my Silhouette to create various sized hexagons from patterned paper.  I used lots of pop dots with my images to create more depth and dimension on the page.  


This is my most recent "shaped photo" page, so you are probably tired of seeing this one pop up, right??  I shared a tutorial for this page just last week.  :)

If you are interested in creating shaped photos of your projects, you can check out this older video for a quick tutorial.

What about you??  Do you love to play around with shaped photos on your pages??  What's your favorite shape??


9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous layouts, as always. You are such an inspiration. Thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! I LOVE all your pages!! Circles are my favorite, I have to admit. I always have so much fun layering them. I especially like the grid pattern you created with the die cuts. The triangle pages are fun too. I need to try this. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving all the ways you used circles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pages. The second and the last ones are my favorites.
    Once I lifted a circle page of you. I will share it soon on my blog. It is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with everything you create.
    Thanks for sharing so much beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so gonna try this, shaped photos! Why didn't I think of this?! Really beautiful pages, as always!
    Can I challenge you with something though? Next layout, no white paper!
    TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just gorgeous! Thank you for the inspiration to think outside the rectangle/square!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow -- these layouts are gorgeous. I will be following your blog!

    ReplyDelete